The Resurgence of Direct Mail Marketing—Why it’s Happening Now
How many times over the past decade have you heard that direct mail is dying? With all of the experts who predicted direct mail wouldn’t survive the digital era, one might wonder why anyone gets any kind of mail anymore! But we know now that direct mail is not only here—but it’s going through a silent resurgence. Corporations, large and small, are turning to the time-tested medium to find and convert new leads and maintain communication with existing consumers.
With the renewed interest in direct mail marketing, even the most loyal supporters have to be at least a little surprised with how well direct mail is faired, outperforming other mediums in generating new customers by up to 10%. But when you break down the elements of what makes direct mail so effective, it’s clear to see how results like this are achieved.
Benefits of Direct Mail Marketing
Success doesn’t happen by accident, and if you take the time to do some research, you’ll find reasons behind any success story. Direct mail is able to do things more effectively than other mediums, which is why so many are reconnecting with this form of targeting consumers. Here are a few advantages:
- Less focus on time: Yes, we live in a world where social media rules and news is readily available on our phones; but some information needs time to be digested—and direct mail offers that luxury. With direct mail, there is no need to condense the message into 180 characters, so readers have the opportunity to breeze through the content. The benefit of direct mail is consumers get to read the message when they have the time, which means marketers have more of an opportunity to convey emotion in their content, which is necessary to convert consumers.
- Using technology: Even direct mail uses technology to its advantage. Over 90% of direct mail pieces drive consumers to some type of online activity, which can now be done with downloadable information, USBs, or other creative, technological applications.
- People are responding: At the end of the day, you do what works. And people have been responding to direct mail at a rate of 4.4%. Compare that to email, where the response rate is less than 1%, and you begin to see why direct mail has been able to stay relevant. Consumers are more engaged with direct mail, preferring content they can experience with more than just their eyes. It’s also easier to track and measure the effectiveness of a campaign with direct mail—another benefit when figuring out how to approach marketing your next project.
To debate the current validity of direct mail is no longer a sound argument. There are so many benefits we could mention—including a higher ROI and its ability to build customer loyalty. Keep in mind that direct mail, when paired with other marketing tactics, increases the effectiveness of direct mail marketing significantly.
Macromark has been in the direct mail marketing business for close to 30 years. With more than 300 clients and B2B clients across Canada and the U.S., we are recognized as a trusted marketing leader in the industry. We’ve seen direct mail grow, then stumble, and we’re here now to see its resurgence to prominence among businesses. Contact us today for more details on what we can do to help you better reach your target audience.
Latest posts by David Klein (see all)
- Remnant Ads Can Help Gain Exposure to Small Businesses - May 21, 2020
- Direct Mail 101 - May 12, 2020
- How Brands Can Advertise Wisely during the COVID-19 Pandemic - May 11, 2020